Most diabetic foot complications are preventable by frequently inspecting your feet and protecting them by using well fitting shoes and inserts. In an effort to assist you in protectingyour feet and avoid complications from your diabetes, Medicare enacted the Therapeutic Shoe Bill. This underutilized Medicare benefit has the potential to prevent patient suffering, prolong patient life, and save money.
Within the calendar year, one of the following choices is covered:
• A pair of off-the-shelf depth shoes and 3 additional pairs of multi-density inserts.
• A pair of off-the-shelf depth shoes including a modification, and 2 additional pairs of multi-density inserts.
• A pair of custom molded shoes and 2 additional pairs of multi-density inserts.
The physician who is managing your diabetic condition will need to provide 3 pieces of documentation:
1. "Statement of Certifying Physician" for therapeutic shoes
2. Prescription for footwear
3. Documentation from the physician that he has examined your feet and determined you would benefit from therapeutic footwear
Contact our office, at 276-628-6043, for assistance to obtain these documents.